Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Poppy Seed Muffins

This morning I made Poppy Seed Muffins. The recipe I used is from Carol Fenster's cookbook "1000 Gluten-Free Recipes". The actual recipe is her Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Lemon Crust. Lemons have a tendency to go bad in my house so I modified it to be more of a Almond Poppy Seed muffin.


 The recipe calls for eggs, milk, canola oil, lemon zest, vanilla extract, Carol's Sorghum Blend, Expandex, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Since, as I mentioned above I don't keep lemons on hand, I leave out the lemon zest. I also have not splurged for the Expandex yet (it is very expensive) so, as Carol suggests, I substitute her sorghum flour blend.


I have made this recipe 3 times now.The first time I made this recipe I added 1 tsp lemon juice which gave the muffins a nice flavor. The second time I had some sliced almonds so I added a bunch of those (too many I found out). I also accidentally left out the sugar. Those muffins tasted more like Almond Poppy Seed Biscuits. They were decent but not my favorite. This time I added only a few almonds to the mix and the texture was much better. These still weren't as good as the first batch I made. I think that next time I make these I will add the lemon juice again.

All of the times I have made these muffins the texture has been much better than when I have made Blue Chips Almond Poppy Seed muffins. Blue Chips muffins come out too spongy for me. When I say spongy I don't mean nice, light and airy like a Sponge Cake. I mean plastic-y, like you are eating your kitchen sponge, spongy (not a pleasant experience).

2 comments:

  1. That is mighty ambitious. I don't think I could experiment quite that much the first time out. The muffins look really good which is the first step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane - My mother doesn't like lemon muffins and often converts them to almond. I just used some of her tricks. ... Thanks for commenting.

    I realize that this might not be a very good first post because I usually do not experiment with recipes that much the first couple times I make them. However that was the first thing I made since starting this blog and you have to start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete