Thursday, May 19, 2011

Frozen Pineapple

I like to use frozen fruit to make fruit shakes as part of breakfast. Last year I came across a frozen fruit medley that contained strawberries, mango, peaches and pineapple. My husband is not a big peach or mango fan, but it gave the idea to try frozen pineapple. Strawberry-banana-pineapple shakes are delicious, but just try to find a bag of frozen pineapple at your local grocery store. So I decided to make my own.


Pineapples have been relatively cheap lately so during the last month I have bought 4 pineapples and froze them. Here is how you do it:


 Cut the top and the bottom off of the pineapple as well as the outside of the pineapple. Try the curve with the skin. You will keep more of the fruit.


Quarter the pineapple lenghtwise.

Remove the tough stringy core by cutting off the point of each of the quarters.

Cut into bite-sized pieces.

Place a single layer of pineapple pieces onto a freezer paper lined cookie sheet and put in the freezer. (I usually let mine freeze over night.)

Remove the fruit from the freezer paper and place into a freezer bag.


Now you have individually frozen fresh pineapple chunks that are delicious to snack on as well as to make shakes with.

4 comments:

  1. Genius. I would never have tried that - pineapples seem too juicy to make it through the freezing process. And isn't there always that day in the winter where the sun comes out and you coould have some pineapple but there are none to be found?
    Problem solved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was curious, I had never had thawed pineapple before so I took a bite out of a piece I had partially thawed in the microwave. It was not bad. I usually use frozen pineapple in fruit shakes where they get pureed and their post-frozen texture doesn't really matter.

    I had an acquaintance that introduced me to frozen fruit salads (which is like a fruit salad but all of the fruit pieces are frozen). She really likes one during those hot summer months when you are looking for anything to keep yourself cool. I am tempted to try one this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever tried dried pineapple? Ooo oo. Not that I can ever keep it around longer than a single day. Takes longer to dry it than to eat it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried freeze dried pineapple at a GF expo and it was delicious. I don't think I would dry it myself. Well, maybe I might try it when I get a little more energy.

      Delete