Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup

Last week my husband was sick and I was not feeling well myself so I decided to make Chicken Noodle Soup. This recipe comes from a gluten-free cookbook called Life Tastes Good Again.

Peel 2 carrots. Dice carrots, 2 stalks celery, and 4-5 green onions. (I didn't have any green onions so I used 1 med onion.)

Dice 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. In a medium skillet, heat 1-2 Tbs oil. Add the chicken and saute over medium heat. Set aside.

While the chicken is cooking, combine 5 cups chicken broth, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil.


Add the vegetables. Boil until the vegetables are just beginningto soften. Stir in the chicken. Break spaghetti noodles into 3 to 4" long pieces and add them to the soup. Boil until the noodles and vegetables are soft.


Serve Hot.

The authors of the cookbook say to use a quick cooking noodle, but I don't have any so I used Tinkyada's spaghetti noodles. They take longer to cook and as they cook they release a lot of starch so I have to add extra water (about the same amount as the broth, 5 cups) or the soup is more like a condensed soup you would get out of a can.

All in all a pretty good soup.

1 comment: