Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sun Flour Mills Sugar Cookie Mix

The first weekend in February my brother got married. On the way "up north" for the wedding my husband let me stop by the Health Food store that is the store closest to where we live that sells a decent variety of GF foods (it's about an hour away). I had forgotten that they were doing samples of a new GF line (Sun Flour Mills) until I walked in the door and was greeted by free food. The items I liked most were the bread and the cookies. So I picked up a bag of their bread mix. When my husband was "up north" for work he got me a bag of the sugar cookie mix. I haven't tried making the bread yet, but I did make the cookies. They were as good as I remembered.


Their texture reminds me of Keebler's Sandie's Shortbread cookies more than a sugar cookie, but they taste like a sugar cookie. My husband says that there is an aftertaste. I think it is more from the shortening than anything, but if you are expecting a GF cookie to have the same taste as one made from wheat you are mistaken. After a year of eating GF I guess I have forgotten what wheat-based foods taste like.

The Sugar Cookie mix cost $6.00 and makes 24 3inch cookies which is not bad, but is more expensive than I want to pay on a regular basis.

Why is it that homemade GF food tastes ssooo much better than the store bought??? (I would not touch a store-bought cookie with a ten foot pole. I have not found a single store-bought cookie that I like.)

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty much true of all food I think. Homemade always tastes better than store bought. Except maybe for Oreos. I haven't figured them out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the most part I agree. The only thing that I like store-bought better than homemade is GF bread. I haven't found a homemade bread that I really like yet. Udi's and Rudi's both have good GF bread, but $6.50 for a small loaf of bread is a little expensive so I will keep looking for a decent bread recipe.

    ReplyDelete