Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Fluffy Cornbread

I came upon this recipe by mistake. I misread the recipe for Bette Hagman's Feather-Light flour mix you use in the "Cornbread recipe" from "Life Tastes Good Again". I used 1 Tbsp Potato Starch instead of Potato Flour. You would think that 1 Tbsp won't matter much one way or the other, but it does. I used this messed up flour mix to make cornbread and loved it. A while later I used it to make biscuits and they came out like hockey pucks. They didn't rise at all. I was so disappointed. Well, now I know why.

I liked the cornbread so much that I have of bag of the mix just to use for cornbread. My version of the mix is:
1 c. Rice flour
1 c. cornstarch
1 c. tapioca starch
1 Tbsp. potato starch
Mix well.

The cornbread recipe is:

Preheat oven to 425 deg F.

For the cornbread you mix  1 cup corn meal,1 cup cornbread flour mix, 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum, 2 Tbsp. sugar, 1 Tbsp. baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt together in a bowl.


Then mix 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup oil, and 1 egg in a separate bowl. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients slowly while mixing. Mix together on high for 1 minute until well blended.


Pour into a greased pan.


Bake 20-25 mins (8x8 pan) or 12-15 (9x13 pan).


Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Do you ever throw in canned, frozen or fresh corn? I enjoy the pop of sweetness and crunch of the kernal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried that. Sounds interesting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete